19 Broadway has been dedicated to fun and entertainment for more than 90 years.
19 Broadway was built in 1921 and operated as the Fairfax Hotel & Restaurant by Albert Bolongaro. In 1923, L.M. Clifford leased the hotel and restaurant from Bolongaro and ran them both, with a pool room and a card room upstairs. A speak-easy existed in the space from 1922 to 1931, with slot machines in the back.
In 1929, Bella Celoni purchased the Fairfax Hotel & Restaurant, moving his family into the hotel rooms onsite. His restaurant, which included a small bar, was downstairs at what is today 19 Broadway’s MYX Lounge.
After World War II, Bella Celoni retired and his two sons, Jerome and Louis, decided to close the restaurant. Jerome obtained an “off sale” liquor license, and the brothers opened a liquor store at 19 Broadway and a bar at 17 Broadway called Celoni’s.
The present bar was built by Tony Tetroni, Jerome’s uncle, in 1940. Remember, the address of the present 19 Broadway Bar & Restaurant is actually 17 Broadway… So much for Irish thinking.
Since the beginning of its existence, the building at 17 and 19 Broadway has been dedicated to fun and entertainment, a tradition carried into the new millennium!